… to the Bodleian libraries weblog site at
Follow us there!
… to the Bodleian libraries weblog site at
Follow us there!
Sorry that there have not been many posts recently.We have been very busy the last few weeks packing and getting ready for our move to central Oxford.
Here are a few photos of what we have been doing.
We look forward to seeing all our readers again in Septmber. Please get in touch with the Library with any enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Leopold Muller Memorial Library will be closing on Friday 20 June 2014, due to the forthcoming move to central Oxford. The Library will be reopening in September 2014.
For any enquiries please phone or email the Library. Please check the website for any further announcements.
Tel : 00 (44) (0)1865 377946 ext. 117
16 May 2014
As part of the relocation of the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, the Leopold Muller Memorial Library will be moving to a new venue in central Oxford in the summer of 2014. The move will allow us to improve our services and our presence in central Oxford, and it will result in a closer integration of all libraries in the University with Hebrew & Jewish Studies holdings. As a result, some services will not be available to our readers after the end of Trinity term (21 June 2014).
For further information, please see our website, where we will post regular updates.
Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience and co-operation.
LEOPOLD MULLER MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Invites you to a book sale
Former library books and periodicals,
on a wide variety of subjects related to Jewish and religious studies,
in Hebrew and Western languages, will be available for purchase
at bargain prices
Date: Wednesday 30th April
Time: 4pm till 8pm
Venue: Yarnton Manor (main hall)
Free transport on the 3:45 pm OCHJS minibus run from the Oxford Playhouse
(please book your seat with the email@example.com in advance)
Hardbacks @ £3.00
Paperbacks @ £1.50
Folios @ £8.00
Our new exhibition is up! “The World of Printed Words: Samuel Montagu and the Western Hebrew Library”. The online exhibition shows highlights of the Western Hebrew Library, a collection of over 1300 items dated from 15th to 20th century, deposited on loan with the Leopold Muller Memorial Library in 2013.
All welcome to browse and comment!
This edition of Nahmanides’ commentary on the Pentateuch from 1489 was the first book printed in Lisbon. It was published by two rabbis, Samuel Zorba and Eliezer Toledano and preceded the first Latin book printed in Lisbon by some six years. Toledano’s printing house was one of the earliest to use borders in his publications. His Nahmanides’ commentary has a beautiful inhabited floral border around first page. The frame was designed by a Christian printer and engraver, Alfonso Fernández de Córdoba originally for a Hebrew Bible published in 1486 and 1487 by Eliezer ben Abraham ibn Alatansi and Solomon ben Maimon Zalmati in Híjar, Spain. For operating a printing shop with Jewish connections, Fernando was sentenced to death in absentia in Valencia.
During the long life of this book, it must have been detached from its binding and remained unprotected. As a consequence, it lost several leaves from the beginning and the end. In 1954, the volume was restored: the missing leaves were replaced by photographic facsimile from another copy and it was rebound in a beautiful leather binding preserving it for the future. (Shelfmark W B1i)
The first printing house in Palestine was founded in Safed, and published only six books in its short existence (1577-1587). Hebrew printing in Palestine was re-established by Israel ben Abraham Bak, who brought his printing equipment to Safed in 1831 from Ukraine. He repeatedly lost his printing press whilst in Safed due to an earthquake and riots. Thus in the late 1830s he decided to move the printing house to Jerusalem. As part of his endeavour to promote prosperity in the Holy Land, Moses Montefiore supplied him with new, modern printing press.
Hayim Horowitz’s book, Sefer Hibat Yerushalayim was printed in this new printing house in Jerusalem. Its title page is dominated by Bak’s impressive printer’s device depicting the major landmarks of Jerusalem: the Western Wall, the Temple Mount and the Mount of Olives.
Our copy is signed by Nahman Nathan Coronel Palestinian scholar.
(shelfmark: W H1474)
Today’s highlight is another seventeenth-century book printed in Amsterdam by Johannes Jodocus Janssonius (shelfmark: W F823; see also, Constantijn L’Empereur’s commentary on the Book of Daniel). The “Extraordinary Professor of Semitic Languages” at the University of Koenigsberg, Johannes Stephanus Rittangel (1606-1652) published his Latin translation of Sefer Yetsirah. This was the third latin translation and the first bilingual publication of the famous book of Jewish mysticism. It is not clear whether Rittangel was a converted Jew or a temporary convert to Judaism. He certainly had an excellent command of Hebrew and spent decades among Jews including Karaites of Lithuania. On his way from Lithuania to Konigsberg in 1640 or 1641, he wanted to stop in Amsterdam to publish his translation of Sefer Yetsirah. However, his ship was attacked by pirates and he ended up in England, where he got acquainted with famous Christian Hebraists such as Samuel Hartlib, John Dury and John Selden. He finally published the book in 1642. Although he was undoubtedly knowledgeable, “his abrasive and difficult personality” “made him impossible to deal with” (for more on him, see Daniel J. Lasker, “Karaism and Christian Hebraism: A New Document,” Renaissance Quarterly, 59:4, [Winter, 2006]: 1089-1116).
The Library is looking for a Library Relocation Officer. The job description and details of how to apply are on the centre’s website under ‘Announcements’: http://www.ochjs.ac.uk/